Did You Move? . . .


Summer is the time when many people move to new homes.  If you recently moved, you should let the IRS know your new address.

Also, if you filed a joint return and you and/or your spouse have since separated, you both should notify the IRS of your new addresses.  This is not legally required, but is a good idea nonetheless.  If you fail to provide the IRS with your current mailing address, you may not receive a notice of deficiency or a notice and demand for tax.  If you let the Post Office know your new address, they will ordinarily forward such notices, but this can take quite a while and doesn’t always happen at all.

Despite your failure to receive such notices, penalties and interest will continue to accrue on the tax deficiencies.  It’s easy to let the IRS know your new address.  Just fill out and mail IRS Form 8822, Change of Address.  If your dependent children filed their income tax returns, complete and file a separate Form 8822 for each child.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s